Lately friends have been asking me, “How are you doing it? Working full time with a 6 week old?” “Are you superhuman?” “I could never do what you are doing.”
And it feels good to be recognized as strong and competent but I thought I’d let you in on the reality of how an artist actually manages kids, a home, a dog, a partner and mounting her biggest show to date…
1. Babysitters. I pay $30 an hour for childcare for my 2 kids. This means I forfeit my entire wage.
2. My house smells like shit (we’re not sure whose) and we don’t care.
3. We have a moth infestation and we don’t have the time to deal with it.
4. My husband and I don’t spoon. We hit the sack and don’t move till morning (except for the ups and downs with the kids).
5. We sent our dog to our friends house for a “vacation” so we could save time by not having to walk her.
6. Showers are every second or third day. Whether we are puked on or not.
7. Coffee is a must.
8. I don’t know if you called. I’m sorry, I won’t be calling you back.
9. I’m sleeping in my sons pee. It’s dry now so I’m fine with it.
10. Take out tacos.
*bonus* It’s only 8am and I’ve already had a cry.
And this is just quickly off the top my my head.
It’s not glamerous folks but still…to be doing my best at what I love the most…it’s worth it. It’s worth it. It’s worth it.
More than that, it’s an honour.
I’m not leaving it up to fate. I’m not asking the universe to hear my prayer. I’m not expecting that it’s my turn and I don’t think that I deserve it.
Instead, I’m ridiculously thankful that I get to share my favourite thing with you.
And…there’s also a little bit of sheer muscle involved too.